Thursday, 23 March 2017

Facing the Moon - creation and symbolism or why I chose this name?

Choosing your artistic name or your brand's name is a very important thing. We all want to be easily recognizable, unique and creative. 

Well when I chose my brand's name I was barely 20 years old basically still a teenager. Seven years ago I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life, had some undefined goals, went through a university applying crisis and in the end this influenced my name choice.

I wanted to be different from all artists, I wanted my name to be associated with something different than Art, craft, handmade etc. There are enough PoliART, Polina Handmade jewelry, PolymerART by Polina etc. We all know the common and popular names. I wanted mine to have deeper meaning. So I started to think. It took me 10 minutes to created it :D Fast, ain't I?

When I created Facing the Moon I was imaging something mysterious, dark, forbidden. Basically your typical post-punk-gothic-teenage-period. Only 7 years later I realized the meaning of my choice, my Inner self was guiding me without me realizing it. It was funny because this lead to increasing my motivation, creating my logo and setting my art believes and goals.

Why facing to the Moon and not some other astral body?


As I stated above, I was in my post-gothic period. What can I say, we all go through some periods in our teenage years. What was left from my "dark" period was the interest in these "mystic arts". 

What does the Moon represents? 

The moon is a feminine symbol, universally representing the rhythm of time as it embodies the cycle.[..] In astrology, the moon is a symbol of the soul, and in the horoscope it determines the subject's capacity for reflection and adaptation. It also provides analogy for the stages of human development: the new moon is infancy, the crescent is youth and adolescence, the full moon is maturity and pregnancy, and the waning moon represents the decline of life, sleep.
I want to create something meaningful, something that will fill your soul with emotions, something special. The most important parts of the Moon symbolism for me are the feminine and the analogy for the stages of human development. It represent the energy, the power and the stages of one's life.
The Moon can be mysterious as a woman. There is always one hidden side, reserved for someone special. There is the illumination, the brightness, the light that can guide you through. Art is the same - it will guide you and it will bring you light. The Moon is always there, even if you don't see it, the same as art.

What's the hidden message behind my logo?

I went through 3 designs before settling down with my current one.
The first one was ~facingthemoon with some fancy fonts. Nothing special. The idea was to use it more like a watermark.
The second one was a combination of a lot of things. Here is how it looked. I created it after my 4 years' artistic pause.
It had the Moon so it could be associated with my brand. It had the Tree of life (Art is Life), the Infinity symbol with a paintbrush inside (representing my passion about drawing), roses (one of my favourite flowers), feather (my desire to write and express myself). Basically a lot of things in one place. Oh, yes, let's not forget my motto: In art we trust. I went so far that went I was starting the re-branding I made a coat of arms. Which, I give you that, looks pretty cool. But not so user friendly. One day, when I have my own studio, I will just hang it on the wall. I promise you that!

 The third one was more simple. I wanted it to be only fonts BUT with a twist. The Triple Goddess moon.
I was getting close but there was something missing. Something that wasn't quite right. I wanted my logo to be simpler and less fonts. After couple of ideas to keep the Moon symbol and to incorporate it in some geometric shapes, my husband asked me: Why the geometric shapes? You don't use them in your jewelry. Create something that represents your art.
And then BANG! That was it. Behold:

I was so happy. It had the symbol I wanted and felt personal, and it had the one thing that represents my art in a perfect way - the Hungarian embroidery patterns.

The Triple Goddess symbol
In common Neopagan usage the three female figures are frequently described as the Maiden, the Mother, and the Crone, each of which symbolizes both a separate stage in the female life cycle and a phase of the Moon, and often rules one of the realms of earth, underworld, and the heavens. These may or may not be perceived as aspects of a greater single divinity.
The Maiden represents enchantment, inception, expansion, the promise of new beginnings, birth, youth and youthful enthusiasm, represented by the waxing moon;
The Mother represents ripeness, fertility, sexuality, fulfilment, stability, power and life represented by the full moon;
The Crone represents wisdom, repose, death, and endings represented by the waning moon.
 This trinity represent my artistic path. When I started I was The Maiden - I was a beginner, full with enthusiasm, ideas and dreams. Now I am The Mother - I am achieving my goals, have a better knowledge and  experience in my craft. Hopefully I will reach the Crone - went I will share my wisdom with other people, create workshops and spread the polymer clay love.

The Hungarian embroidery patterns 
Currently I work with the polymer clay technique Embroidery. I was fascinated by the Kalocsai embroidery. It just caught my eye and my soul. I will write a separate post about this passion. It deserves a separate publication, trust me on this.

Yours,
Polina

1 comment: